Puritan Logo
Puritan Logo
Backroom
Takeout   603-623-3182
Functions   603-666-9893
Restaurant   603-669-6890
Sun-Thurs 11am - 11pm
Fri-Sat 11am - 12am
Takeout opens at 8am
Join Our Mailing List

Puritan Logo



Gift Card
Backroom

Menus

Gift Cards

Weekly Specials

HISTORY

1906 - Arthur Pappas and Louis Canotas immigrated to America with their families from Elassona, Greece. They became U.S. citiezns, and on April 5, 1917, they opened an ice cream and candy shop at 57 Hanover Street in Manchester, NH. In 1919, they opened a restaurant around the corner at 897 Elm Street.

1917 - On April 5, 1917, Arthur and Louis opened an ice cream and candy shop at 57 Hanover Street in Manchester.

1919 - A restaurant was opened at 897 Elm Street, around the corner from the candy store.

1936 - The Puritan opened a roadside stand on Second Street and soon followed with a location on Valley Street. Other locations were opened by family members in Concord, Portland, and Lawrence. Also in 1936, Arthur and Louis purchased property on the Daniel Webster Highway in Manchester.

1938 - The new ice cream stand on Daniel Webster Highway opened for business.

1949 - A fire devastated the Elm Street Puritan, but the owners were undeterred. They re-opened a multi-level restaurant and tea room at the location the following year.

1954 - The Daniel Webster Highway location was expanded and the ice cream production was moved to that site from the Elm Street store.

1968 - With the passing of Louis Canotas in 1967 and Arthur Pappas in 1968, the second generation took over the Puritan business. Charlie Pappas and brothers Plato and Milton Canotas continued the hard working ways of their fathers.

1969 - The Elm Street restaurant was sold and the candy store on Hanover Street was phased out, as the new owners concentrated their activities on the Daniel Webster Highway location.

1970 - In October, the self-service Puritan Front Room was opened alongside a renovated ice cream window.

1974 - In February, the Puritan expanded again to add a full service restaurant around the back of the building, aptly named the Backroom.  With a bar and expanded menu, the dining room quickly became a hit to greater Manchester residents from the day it opened. For the next 15 years, the Puritan consisted of the Front Room and the Backroom.

1989 - In February, the Front Room and ice cream window closed, making way for new event spaces which opened May 31. The Pappas and Canotas Rooms pay tribute to the families that founded the business.

1990 - Milton Canotas passed away in March. In June, the business was purchased by the third generation. Arthur Pappas continued the legacy of his father and grandfather. His partners were Andy Statires and Chuck Stergiou.

1991 - On Memorial Day weekend, the Puritan Ice Cream & Takeout opened in the southwest corner of the building, making the Puritan's famous homemade ice cream and chicken tenders available for pick up.

1992 - In July, Charlie Pappas passed away. Plato Canotas, the lone survivor from the second generation continued to be an integral part of the business for the next fourteen years.

1997 - On April 1, the Puritan Backroom became non-smoking facilities, the first restaurant in the state to do so.

2002 -  A state-of-the-art Conference Center opened in the building next door, adding with three event spaces.

2006 - Chris Pappas became the fourth generation to enter the business. On July 12th, Plato Canotas passed away.

2017 - The Puritan will celebrate 100 years in business!



site by wedu